Uniden BCD436HP

A place where non registered members can ask for basic help and support to do with the hobby.
Sponge

Uniden BCD436HP

Post by Sponge »

Hello I currently own a Ubc396xt and noticed uniden now has BCD436HP out and maybe even from what I'm reading a BCD5?? series as well

Would there be any benefits in Tasmania to upgrading to this in relation to receiving any more channels (better reception or digital encryption)

Thank you for any responses
Adam
Site Administrator

Re: Uniden BCD436HP

Post by Adam »

Hi,

Thanks for your question. :)

Unfortunately those new Uniden scanners are US only versions and from what we have inquired about they are not planning on releasing any AU versions of them, at least not in the near future anyway.

The problem with the US versions is that they do block part of our Trunked frequency bandplan (due to their mobile phone laws), that being 869MHz, and as it happens our Trunked Network (TASGRN) makes use of that blocked 1MHz, therefore if your using a US scanner to monitor the TASGRN you will miss some conversations completely, as well as replies to others, it will still pick up conversations but makes it very difficult to keep track of and follow some, your 396 does not have this problem.

Also there is only one or two users in Tasmania that currently use the P25 protocol at this stage, although there may be others, one that we know of is the ARFFS (Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting Services), however while they sometimes can be heard in the clear they do have the option of and do use encryption from time to time, which of course cannot be heard by any scanner, however if they are not using encryption then your 396 can easily pick this up anyway.

So really, apart from some new features and aesthetics, there would be no benefit in purchasing one of the new US scanners for use here in Tas, your 396 will currently pick up anything being used in Tasmania, providing of course its not encrypted, the only real reason to upgrade would be for some of the new features or looks, although keep in mind that some of the features are of no use here, i.e. SAME Weather Alert, Radio Database, Fire-Tone etc.

But buying one will not allow you to listen into anything different, or anything more, than what your 396 currently will.

I hope this has helped answer your questions.
Radios:

Alinco: DJ-V5
AnyTone: D578UV III Plus
Baofeng: UV-9R
Icom: IC-R100, IC-R30
Radiooddity: GD-77
Uniden: 396T | 996T | 796D
SDR: SDRPlay RSPduo
Yaesu: FTDX10

Sponge

Re: Uniden BCD436HP

Post by Sponge »